Lots of discussion this week!
BUT FIRST! Star Driver Speculah Bingo:
are the same
at the end.
is a triple
mom was a
turns out to
Feel free to make your own card with your own speculah or rearrange this one.
And now onto your regularly scheduled speculah
My stance on this really hasn’t changed much from the beginning. I’m having a really hard time seeing any kind of conflict developing between Takuto, Wako and Sugata especially after the present exchange. I mentioned this before in the comments, but, seriously, just listen to how Takuto talks about Sugata’s devotion to Wako (and he’s even blushing while he does it)––Takuto seems to genuinely want to tell Wako how much Sugata cares about her and it sounds like he admires Sugata for it too. I can’t imagine Takuto being jealous of Sugata for any reason after that stunt. Also, I think the reason Sugata didn’t get Wako a present was because he doesn’t like birthdays––they probably don’t usually exchange presents (Wako didn’t seem too surprised that he didn’t get her anything either).
I guess the only person I could see causing “issues” within the trio is Sugata. He has always been pushing Takuto and Wako together, but he also seems like the most troubled/insecure member of the trio. And further, we don’t really know why he’s been so encouraging of Takuto and Wako’s relationship (older Enokido comments seem to imply that his motives for getting close to Takuto are fairly self-serving, hard to say if that still applies or if that was just the initial reason). Even though Sugata seems like the most likely one to instigate trouble in the trio, I still can’t see him turning on them. If nothing else, I think it’s clear that he loves Wako deeply (in whatever capacity) and I don’t think he’d do anything to hurt her. Which reminds me, I think Takuto was wrong when he said that Sugata didn’t care about anything but staying alive, the one thing Sugata clearly cares about is Wako (he was willing to kill to protect her and almost died doing the same thing).
So I dunno, the only way I can see last boss Sugata is if he starts to see Takuto as a threat to Wako physically (not that Wako really needs protecting)––unless something’s changed in his character (could have) since Enokido gave the Megami interview where he said, “It’s clear that he likes Wako the most as a person of the opposite sex, but by Sugata’s standards, romantic love itself doesn’t really seem to rank very highly,” coupled with the fact that Sugata’s been pushing Wako and Takuto together and his “in the 21st century, I believe we should be allowed to love freely” line from the first episode, I can’t see Sugata flipping his shit over a romantic development between Takuto and Wako. Plus his “we should be allowed to love freely” thing sounds like either a) Sugata’s gay or b) he’s totally cool with the idea of three-way relationship.
KISSES AND CONSENT
So, I’m finding it increasingly interesting that none of the boys seem to take an active role in all the kissing/etc going on in the show. Takuto’s been kissed …3 times? So far, but never because he initiated/consented to them. Depending on how you take the mouth-to-mouth, Wako stole his first kiss to save his life; he was unconscious (obviously, but I figured I’d state it explicitly because boys being unconscious and having things done to them is a ~thing~). Kanako stole his first proper kiss when she dropped the glass. And Benio kissed him while he was sleeping (again with the unconscious violations!).
Benio also initiated the kiss with Tetsuya (to mind control him no less!) and kissed Sugata while he was in a post-coma stupor (unconscious again!). Even with Takashi and Simone, Takashi’s usually pretty passive while Simone presses him into near-kiss positions (though in 11 Takashi did pull her into embrace later, so idk if this fits into the pattern). And then of course there’s unconscious Sugata and Keito’s “duty” (I still think it’s probably ritual sex, but whatever, some people still don’t think Kou and Madoka are lesbians/fucking even after naked time this week).
Though interestingly, Kanako commented in episode 5 that it was unseemly for a girl to initiate a kiss through the glass. Anyway, I don’t really know what to make of it, just an observation that it’s sort of the opposite of the normal pattern.
There are too many things we don’t know to make good predictions imo, but some general points of interest (some of this is obvious/has been mentioned but reiterating):
- What’s the “shocking thing” that Takuto sees when he’s helping out around the house?
– The summary mentions 3 people: Head (Tokio), Sora (Katashiro’s fiance) and Katashiro. The flash-back looking portions of the preview show: Head, Takuto’s Mom and Shingo (and possibly a fourth person depending on how you take Mr. Red-shirt, I think it’s Head but idk)
– Head? and Sora? under the rainbow in the preview looks a lot like the last shot in the OP with Sugata, Wako and Takuto standing under shooting stars (just minus Takuto)
– Shingo has the Sin mark, it’s visible in the preview
– Shingo and Head are screwing around in the ruins in the preview (you can see a Cybody’s base-body in the background)
General prediction: instead of Head NTRing Sora from Katashiro, he NTRs both of them from each other. They get jealous of each other and the relationship falls apart.
[EDIT] Oh also, idk where to put this, but random observation: Ruri’s hickey was in the same spot that Wako held the knife to Takuto’s neck.
[EDIT] Rough timeline because it seems like it might be useful. Making some assumptions about the identities of Head, Sora and Katashiro for now:
A long time ago
– Ruins are discovered; the Crux is formed (note: according to Megami comments from Enokido, the Crux was not always comprised of 6 sections–it’s a fairly new setup)
~30+ years ago
– Ikuro’s time as a Galactic Pretty Boy; it’s implied that he probably piloted Tauburn before
– Ikuro’s son/Takuto’s father/Head is born.
– Ikuro does not pass the Tau mark on to his son.
~16 years ago (based on the Young Gangan summary)
– Sora/Takuto’s mom (probably about 16/17 based on her uniform) is engaged to Katashiro/Shingo; they get involved with Head
~15 years ago
– Takuto is born. Sugata is born.
– Wako is born/etc.
– At some point Head abandons Takuto and leaves him with Ikuro. (sounds like he may have left the island for a time around here––Takuto doesn’t seem to remember/know anything about the island so he probably wasn’t there long even if he was born there and iirc magazines describe Takuto’s father as having abandoned him to go (back to) to the island)
– Leon is involved with Simone and Mylene’s mother. Simone (Pamela) and Mylene are born.
~10 years ago?
– Midori is enrolled in Southern Cross Academy’s high school section.
– Fujino abandons Mizuno to look for Mizuno’s “father.” Marino is created.(guessing based on how old Mizuno looks in the flashback)
~5 years ago
– (possibly more than 5 years ago) Wako apprivoises suddenly/accidentally in elementary school
– Sugata’s 10th birthday, he learns about his mark
~1 year ago
– Natsuo dies
– Takuto gets in a plane crash and gets a the scar on his chest
– Takuto inherits the Tau mark from Ikuro
– Simone gets into a car accident.
– Kanako marries Leon Watanabe.
– Kanako apprivoises Betreada to save Simone. (must be after the Cybercaskets are completed)
Unspecifiedly close to when the series starts
– Fishy gets involved with Head
– Cybercaskets are completed (must be before Kanako apprivoises to save Simone)
– Episode 1: Takuto arrives on the island just before the first day of school (April). North Maiden’s seal is broken.
– Episode 6: Takuto and Sugata’s 16th birthday. (probably at the beginning of May)
Late May/early June:
– Episode 11: Shortly after midterms (usually around the middle of May according to 2ch, so 11 is probably late May/early June)
– Episode 16: West Maiden’s seal is broken.
– Episode 17: The coup and the end of summer vacation (usually ends in mid-late August, seems like 16 was probably just before summer vacation which usually starts in mid-late July)
Late August/Early September:
– Episode 19: Wako’s 16th birthday.
– Episode 22: School Festival